October 11, 2013

"Luther" Movie Response

I found the movie “Luther” incredibly interesting and helpful towards my understanding of the unit “Reformation and Religious Wars.” “Luther” gave the audience a good understanding of Luther’s life before he published the 95 Theses and during the time of his growing popularity. One of the most important things that I learned from the movie is that Martin Luther’s parents were hardworking members of the working class. Martin’s father, Hans Luther, was determined to see Martin become a lawyer. Hans Luther sent Martin to several law schools only for Martin to compare them to hell. Martin later dropped out of law school because he believed law represented uncertainty. Martin’s father was upset with him because he studied theology and became a monk, failing at first. I also learned that Martin Luther dedicated his life to god and became a monk during a thunderstorm, fearing that he would lose his life. Luther is terrified in this scene and desperately prays to God while crouched on the ground, in the mud. I was shocked to find out that this was how Luther committed his life to God. Martin Luther was often troubled by viewing God as a god of hate. I was surprised how many people agreed and supported Luther’s 95 Theses at first. Most of these people were peasants or members of lower classes. Martin Luther had a peasant background himself. Luther didn’t believe in indulgences and was upset that the Holy Roman Catholic Church was ripping off poor people. The church brought up the idea that you can relieve your sins and buy your way into heaven by paying a small fee. Luther and many others strongly disagreed. Luther believed that you can relieve your sins and go to heaven by having faith in the lord. I really learned a lot from “Luther” and I think that it is a very useful study source for this unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment