 |
| David by Bernini |
Certainly on of the more striking sculptures to emerge from the period of baroque art is "David" by Bernini. Not to be confused with Michelangelo's "David", this magnificent statue was sculpted from 1623-24 in Rome, Italy. It is a very striking piece, portraying the moment when David was slinging a stone during his epic battle with Goliath. The sculpture is very striking and very different from what I was expecting, which was a sculpture similar to one of the Renaissance. It is far from that, instead of a serene, perfect, unreal individual, Bernini's David is full of emotion and intensity, almost as if he were about to leap out his marble confines into the real world. It is very visceral and full of movement and action, much more human. I quite like it because of that, I can identify with it much more than I could with other sculptures. During this time, Most of Italy was either under the influence of Austria or of Spain and this oppression shows in the sculpture. David's face is one of defiance and anger, most probably the exact feelings of the Italian people at the time. It is also a deeply religious piece, reflecting the strength of Catholicism in Italy as well as the pieces commissioner, Cardinal Scipione Borghese.
I agree with what you said, especially about it being striking and dynamic, but I also think that the sculpture is more interesting when compared to Michelangelo’s “David”. This one seems more dramatic rather than averagely human and humanist, like Michelangelo’s “David.” I agree with you that the man in the sculpture seems more alive and dramatic, especially since it portrays the minute after David threw the stone at Golaith. However, unlike the other “David”, this one seems much less realistic and a little more like an action cartoon. In my opinion, the two Davids look very different, such as the faces and height, but I found it amusing that their hair is the same in both. I can see the baroque influence in a new take on an old piece, especially in the drama and, as you said, the expression of anger and defiance in his face. Overall, I agree with you and think that this sculpture is very interesting.
ReplyDeleteNice work! I didn't know there was even a sculpture of David slaying Goliath. I agree with your points on how serious and focused David is with trying to hit Goliath. You can see the level of detail in his muscles and his face as he winds up to slay Goliath. This painting is definitely embodying the spirit of the Baroque period. I like how you connected the angst and frustration of David’s physical features to the way in which the people lived during the time. It would be interesting to see this sculptor sculpt Goliath. Would he include the same level of detail and a jaw opening experience to his viewers?
ReplyDelete