November 3, 2013

Palace- Versailles, by Suzy Zhu















The palace built by Louis XIV, king of France. Louis XIV thinks he is the state and he is the sun king. He wants to show his people and the world his power and his wealth. The picture above is only a tiny little part of the palace "Versailles". From this tiny little part we still can see the overwhelmed luxurious decorations: lights, ceilings, mirrors. Gold, glass and the sunlight contrast each other show more of a ornate. This is definitely baroque "art". Because the definition of Baroque art and especially French baroque art is luxurious, dramatic, and upper-class. The whole palace is built by gold, diamonds and leathers, and decorated by all kinds of paintings, sculptures. There is even a zoo inside the palace. Everything shows me the king's power. I like how this palace looks like but at the same time this is why I dislike it. I think most people like luxuries and I am one of them. But according to the history. This overwhelmed palace came from poor peasants' taxes, they pay the taxation with their lives. But the king use these living money to build his own palace, I cannot understand and use a pleasant mood to enjoy all the luxuries.

Suzy Zhu

1 comment:

  1. I agree, the Hall of Mirrors is an impeccable example of baroque art. Almost every part of the hall seems to be ornate to an extreme. From the magnificent chandeliers to the intricate design of the arch, every object or decoration in this hall shows off the riches of King Louis XIV. Personally, my favorite part of the hall is glasswork in the chandeliers. Each piece of glass appears completely clean and clear. It also reflects sunlight in addition to the mirrors. All in all, the entirety of the hall of mirrors displays Louis XIV’s wealth and is undoubtedly a symbol of baroque art.

    ReplyDelete