November 3, 2013

"The Painter and His Dog"




The English baroque artist, William Hogarth, created this self-portrait, “Painter and His Pug”, in 1745. Hogarth himself is surrounded by the edge of a painting, implying that he is indirectly in this artwork. (artception?) His dog Trump, however, is sitting in front of the Hogarth double, loyally by his master’s side…kind of. The dark background contrasts with the brightness of Hogarth’s own face. At a first glimpse, eyes are immediately drawn to the painter’s face, because like most baroque art, there was a great focus on lighting. Hogarth was originally wearing more formal clothing, but was then painted over by the clothes seen here. In the left corner, the words “The Line of Beauty and Grace” represent Hogarth’s theories on visual beauty. Hogarth did many other portraits of various people, including both the famous and the common. 

--Ashley Xu

1 comment:

  1. Only upon second glance did I notice that Hogarth painted a man (himself) in the painting WITHIN a painting... yeah I guess you could call that artception. I appreciate your analysis since it was very concise, yet managed to hit many important points. This is a very interesting piece of art and I agree with you that its characteristics make it very "Baroque." Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete