November 3, 2013
The piece of Baroque art I particularly like is The Milkmaid painted by the Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer in 1658. I like its representation of a single person's profession and its various bright colors, which really help you focus on the subject at hand (the milkmaid). One thing I don't really like about the painting is that it feels somewhat empty, but I can understand that Vermeer painted it this way in order to get the viewer's attention focused on the milkmaid, and not some other interesting object. The reason I chose this piece over others was because I thought it was the perfect representation of Dutch Baroque art. It resembles the late style of Dutch Baroque art in that it uses brighter colors, has a single subject, and demonstrates a quiet, peaceful mood in the setting. It also reflects the culture of the Netherlands, since it is not religious (the Netherlands was and still is by far the most progressive European nation) and it depicts a common job among the people, showing the middle class life of the Dutch (versus the very upper class).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I really like how you touched on the fact that the whole painting is designed to draw your attention to the subject, the milkmaid. I also like how you talked about how it shows middle class life which only really existed in the Netherlands at this point in time. By painting her as she pours milk, Vermeer captured motion in his painting. This was a big part of baroque art as it tried to capture the climax of an action, not the moment before or after it.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite pieces from the dutch baroque region, and I thought you explained it very well. The fact that you mentioned something that you didn't like from the piece I thought was an interesting addition that people so often neglect. I also thought your insight to the background of the origin of this piece, the Netherlands, was very interesting. The fact that the netherlands was so progressive and this painting did not have to do with something religious was something I had not thought of before. Great job over all!
ReplyDelete