February 2, 2014

Romantic painting: traveler looking above the sea of frog by DAVID FRIEDRICH

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog is an oil painting composed in 1818 by the German Romantic artist Caspar David Friedrich. 

A man with walking stick stand on a massive rock with his back to viewers. From the clouds below him and his blowing hair, walking stick I figure out he must claimed a really really high mountain and arrives here: see what we saw from David's painting. The man does not afraid height at all, instead I feel he enjoys being at the top. He oversees everything: clouds, hidden mountains... This unknown area let viewers to guess and imagine what's below there. David did an amazing job on give out his imaginary and enlarge it. This is the point of romanticism and I am impressed by the look of the foresight: how amazing the nature can be.Nature is another point of romanticism, and here, David uses his amazing painting skill to emphasize how small human can be and how big nature is. Also, I want to talk about emotion in this painting. Like I said, even the man does not face us, I still can feel he enjoys being there from his pose. He is not afraid at all. He is filled with courage

No comments:

Post a Comment