When
researching the Holocaust, I focused on the events before Kristallnacht and how
those events relate to the Eight Stages of Genocide (http://www.hmd.org.uk/page/about-genocides).
I found it interesting and disturbing that the term genocide (as described in
the Eight Stages of Genocide) was only recognized by the UN in 1946 and can be
applied for other actions in trying to eliminate a group of people beside
death. The way the eight stages applied to all genocides, including the
Holocaust, was unsettling. I also noticed how the stages (though not all of
them, and many on a smaller scale) could be applied to other atrocities against
groups of people, including the segregation and lynching of African-Americans
(although on a smaller scale). I found this very disconcerting.
The Holocaust Museum’s article about
the life of Jewish people before the Holocaust (http://www.ushmm.org/outreach/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007689)
was very interesting. It was disturbing that people believed German propaganda
(usually stating that Jewish people were greedy, wealthy, and lesser than other
Germans) against Jewish people when most Jewish people were normal citizens and
were found in many different socio-economic classes and positions. How people
could believe something so obviously untrue terrified me.
The article from the Holocaust and
Humanity website on the events leading up to Kristallnacht, in tandem with the
video on Kristallnacht (http://www.holocaustandhumanity.org/kristallnacht/events-leading-up-to-kristallnacht/
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uine5MhOc0I) was very odd. I thought
that many of the events could be connected to the Eight Stages of Genocide. For
example, the dismissal and banning of Jewish people in many government
positions connected with the dehumanization and classification steps of the
Eight Stages of Genocide. Jewish people were also forced to add a Jewish name
(Israel for men, Sarah for women), which connects to the symbolization and
dehumanization stages.
I noticed that many
of the Nuremberg laws were similar to the Jim Crowe laws against
African-Americans. For example, intermarriage was prohibited between Jewish
people and German people and Africa-Americans and Caucasian people. I also
found the amount of destruction caused during Kristallnacht extremely
unsettling; it was disturbing that people could cause so much damage on one
night. I thought it was odd that the Nazi’s estimation of the amount of
destruction on Kristallnacht (191 synagogues burned, 96 Jewish people killed) and
the much, much larger numbers in the video (11,500 synagogues burned, 2,500
Jewish people killed or committed suicide) were so radically different. To
conclude, the Holocaust articles were interesting while disturbing and
unsettling.
I totally agree. This is a great post. The point that the eight stages of genocide applies to the treatment of AFrican Americans is a rather scary point. It shows not only that humans can do horrible things, but also other Americans. That is very disturbing. I also like the comparison to the Jim Crowe laws. It is also very interesting how the actual numbers differ greatly from the German numbers. They probably did not want the truth to get out because it was so bad. All in all great post.
ReplyDeleteAidan Turek
ReplyDeleteI find your relating the Jim Crow laws to the Nuremberg laws very insightful, and particularly horrifying. In the documentary on the Nuremberg Trials, it was noted that the purpose of the trial was to punish a people, or an idea; something so large it had never been done before, and probably was going to be prone to some flaws. But I find it amazing that there was a Nuremberg trial for the Nazis, but no punitive action against the Jim Crowe laws, or the Confederate South, or even after desegregation. The crimes of America, the country that has justly done justice to the Nazis, hasn't been just to itself.