October 10, 2013

The movie Luther was extremely eye opening in the sense that the movie really captured the way you lived around those times and during this huge reformation of the Catholic Church. I was really blown away with how Luther became a friar in the first place. The movie does a great job with showing his entire life. I didn't know that Luther had a mentor and someone who he talked to in his time of need. The movie depicted Luther, when talking to his mentor, as someone who was weak, young, and inexperienced. I also didn't know that Luther suffered from these visions of how the devil would try to bring him or lead him to evil. Farther into the movie it really captures the feeling of when he nails his 95 theces, you could feel the tension start to rise. When Luther is told to appear in front of Charles the 5th in a trial, to see that what he wrote was what he intended. The tension and feeling in the room was crazy. I also didn't know that Luther got married to an ex nun.When Luther translated the bible into German, I was amazed that he actually sat down himself and wrote it word for word. What i found disturbing in the movie was when one of Luther's friends and followers was captured and burned alive for heresy. I think that this movie was very beneficial and helped me understand how his life was and how he influenced the Church, either in a positive or negative way, and opposed the peasant revolts. I thought that he would have sided with the peasants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment