
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Frans_Hals_-_Banquet_of_the_Officers_of_the_St_Hadrian_Civic_Guard_Company_-_WGA11092.jpg
“Banquet of the Officers of the St. Hadrian Civic Guard
Company” by Frans Hals, a renowned Dutch artist, was painted around 1627. Frans
Hals was one of the greatest artists during his time and was well known for his
ability to “capture a moment.” Many of the men depicted here seem as if they
are about to jump out of the painting and say something. As in many of his
works, several of the subjects’ mouths appear slightly open, as if they are in
the middle of speaking. This painting is one of many portraits of a “civic
guard.” However, only this painting was free of weapons. I found this
interesting; it was as if this was one of the rare companies who didn’t want to
be painted with their weapons, in a peaceful and cheerful environment. One of
the parts that definitely amazed me was the design on the glass window in the
background. The edge panels, though some are in front of the tree, all have a
faint coat-of-arms drawn in. I think they may represent the households of all
the men who serve in the company. However, I personally dislike the fact that
several of the men appear to be looking at anyone who sees the painting. I
think a portrait of a banquet should have its members looking at each other,
not a viewer of the painting. On another note, I don’t think this painting is
representative of baroque art because it doesn’t seem to have an overly ornate
feeling to it. However, the subjects all seem to be dressed well and don’t seem
like they have any economic struggles. Of course, this may just be because they
are at a banquet, so they have to dress well, and they would be happy to be
feasting. Though it doesn’t quite feel like a baroque painting, it definitely
has Renaissance elements such as humanism and secularism.
No comments:
Post a Comment