“The Village Fete”, painted from 1635 to 1638 by Peter Paul Rubens, stood out to me because of it’s interesting landscape and the action in the painting. Peter Paul Rubens was born in the German city of Siegen in 1577 and became a Flemish Baroque painter. Throughout his career, Rubens traveled to Antwerp, Italy, Spain, and many other locations in Europe. I love the use of color and I find the landscape quite beautiful. In this painting, Rubens discovered his landscaping gift and anticipated the discoveries of impressionism. There are people in this painting joyfully dancing, some are drunk, some aren’t. However, the painting reflects little to no naturalism, and I can’t say I that. It’s because I enjoy paintings of regular people going about their daily lives, being themselves. The painting is rather a ballet whose different scenes unfold beneath the poetry that Ruben’s sky has shown. Yes, the painting is directed towards normal people at a wedding, similar to Pieter Bruegel's “Peasant Wedding”. However, there is more of a festivity or party in Ruben’s painting.
Ruben’s “The Village Fete”, also known as “the Village Wedding”, reflects the Baroque style because it implies irregularity, bright colors, dark colors, movement, sensuality, and it seems to speak to the illiterate. There is much dancing and drinking beer in the painting. This piece of Ruben’s work was probably painted during the Counter-Reformation. The painting mainly includes normal people, with the exception of some animals. I really enjoy this painting and I believe it is a good example of Baroque art style.
No comments:
Post a Comment