November 3, 2013

French Boroque -Milla Stern

         The French Baroque painting entitled "La Camargo Dancing" by Nicolas Lancret clearly displays the essence of Baroque art. "La Camargo Dancing" was painted in 1730 by oil on canvas. The painting is a portrait of Marie-Anne de Cupis de Camargo, a ballet star of the Paris Opera. When looking through many different pieces of French Baroque art, this painting really stood out to me. I like how it displays both the art form at the time, and the culture. I dislike how it is hard to interpret the facial expressions on the people because that would have given the painting an obvious tone. The Baroque dance is fascinating to me because of how different it is than modern dance genres. I also really like the various colors in the painting and the attention to minor detail. This painting embodies what Baroque art was all about because it is easy to interpret what is happening, and demonstrates the Baroque culture. At this time, France was the most powerful country in Europe which is shown by the people dancing and thriving.  



1 comment:

  1. I like your choice of paintings because of how much color there is in this painting. The greens and yellows just seem to pop out at you. I like how this painting shows people dancing and having fun, which seems to be more of a renaissance type of spirit. What I dont understand is, why is there a statue in the back round of the painting? The statue for me kills the vibe Im getting from the painting. It just seems a little too random to have one in there. I also find it interesting in that the people in the back, behind the couple dancing, don't really have facial expressions painted on them. It makes them look like ghosts.

    ReplyDelete