November 3, 2013

I chose the painting "Las Meninas"  by Velazquez. He made this painting in Spain in the year 1656. In this painting I love how Velazquez uses the natural light from the window to draw your attention to the young girl in the center of the painting. The light from the window shines on her the most on purpose to  help focus our attention, yet it seems to be so natural. Also, the use of color in the painting helps draw your eye towards the young girl because she has the brightest dress on compared to the other ladies in the painting. On all of the ladies you can notice extreme detail on the dresses that they are wearing as well as their hair. On another note, I think it is fascinating that Velazquez paints himself in the painting, and in the painting he is painting a picture. This definitely reflects baroque art because Velazquez' mastery of lighting in the picture, and using color. Also, the amount of detail on all of the people's clothing and facial expressions make this painting more realistic. The depth of the room using shading and lighting reflects baroque art as well. This painting is of the aristocracy because of the beautiful dresses everyone is wearing. In the back of the painting you can notice the king and queen of Spain in the mirror which suggests the young girl in the center could be royalty. During the period in which the painting was made, Spain was in the Golden Age.
 
Las Meninas (1656), by Velazquez.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Spain wasn't in they Golden Age anymore, when this painting was created, as it was after the Treaty of Westphalia. They were in decline! However, Baroque art was flourishing there and everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!! :) I really like how you mentioned that the Velazquez himself was in it, because I find that really interesting. Is he the one who's smiling (kind of creepily) at the viewer, holding a palette in front of a canvas? Anyway, this painting is definitely Baroque. The use of lighting and depth make it seem so dramatic. The people are dressed elegantly, and of course, they're upper class. It's just such a vivid painting, I feel as though I can reach out and pet that dog. Lastly, I find it interesting that although Spain is in decline (contrary to what you said about them being in a Golden Age, which actually happened before the Baroque period), the upper class, like in this painting, still seems to be thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really thought you did a good job analyzing the painting and paying attention to the plethora of details. It certainly represents the upper class, which is so very much Baroque, which you can tell from the setting they're in and the clothing they are wearing. The lighting really puts a focus on the young girl, and it helps that she is in the center of the painting. I also like how you pointed out that Velazquez decided to put himself in the painting and how he intended for it to be a painting of a painting. It's like what Ryan said in class 'paint-ception'. A job well done!

    ReplyDelete