November 3, 2013

Painted by Johannes Vermeer
This painting was painted in 1660-1661, by Johannes Vermeer. It was painted on a canvas with oil, it is a painting of the Dutch artist's hometown. I really like this painting because it shows the beauty of everyday life, casually. The way the dark cloud at the top brings everything else more to life. The colors in this painting are very casual and easy. The reflection of the boats on the lake also make it more realistic. This painting seems almost like a snapshot. The color of the sky also draws my attention because it goes from a light blue to a darker blue the higher you go. The place of where this painting is of is Mauritshuis, The Hague. The only thing that I don't really like about this painting in that there aren't enough colors. This painting is mainly browns and blacks of different shades. For me I prefer paintings that have color, I really like to see when colors get mixed in with each other. Other than that, I love this painting. Some paintings during the 1600s are about the upper class and the nobility. This painting is simple and pure.

2 comments:

  1. Sebi, what makes it considered "Baroque"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fan of simple art, I love this painting. I can really see how you could grow accustomed to looking at this painting every day. One must look at this painting fresh every day to pick up the finer details, and it really does take a while. It makes one imagine a day in the life of a denizen of this beautiful world. I also love the larger detail, along with the minor detail. The clouds, for example, are these immense and peaceful things that hover gently above a bustling city. If I could have any painting hanging up on my bedroom wall, this would definitely be one of them. Post by Aidan Turek

    ReplyDelete