January 25, 2014

Map Museum by Suzy Zhu

I am interested in a Mediterranean map made by Romeyn de Hooghe in 1694. This map was made from 16th-18th century. At that time period, Mediterranean region started its expanding trade: with other countries out of Europe. This map specifically indicates different port cities in Mediterranean area not only in the main map but also in the little charts surrounds the main map. There are 38 insets of the major ports and cities shockingly. The map maker indicates their names and how they specifically look like which also shows different ports and cities’s wealth and prosperity. As we learned, ports are always well populated and well developed since all the commerce happens from there, and goods were transported from there too. I find this map is really cute and patiently drawn by the cartographer because of all the small ports. The map was commissioned by William the Orange who was king of both Netherland and England. This is one of  series of nine charts produced by Hooghe, it richly recorded sailing routes which was really important for the ports. This map was beautifully made and I am impressed.

PS: sorry I didn't find a way to upload the map picture from my phone but the map I am doing is the sam from Kayla's group's second map
Also, Jinyi is also my teammate but she didn't get to finish her part so this is the map I suppose to do. Thanks

Suzy Zhu

No comments:

Post a Comment