In
our class debate I think we came to the conclusion that Napoleon was on the
tyrannical side of the scale, but France needed a sovereign ruler to lead them
through the wars and economic decline. Tomas made the point that France was
much better under the leadership of Napoleon than the powerless Directory or
another monarch. After the Reign of Terror the Directory was stuck
with a war against Prussia and Austria and they didn’t even have the power to
keep their own country in check. Tomas mentioned that the Romans used to have a
sovereign emperor during war time, and Napoleon was the “wartime emperor” for France.
Even though he was the best option,
Napoleon’s reign was a setback for the French economy, freedom of speech/press,
and rights. Napoleon believed in a “family monarchy” where the husband/father
had final say in the household. He also forced all publications to only print
propaganda. Although some of the battles he fought in were necessary, there
were many that were ill-advised and not well thought out. It was a huge drain
on the economy to pay for food and supplies for the troops.
I learned a lot from this debate.
Being on the “pro” side made me rationalize Napoleon’s actions and look at
history from another point of view. It was interesting to see everyone’s
perspective and the facts they used to convey it. All in all, I really enjoyed
the Napoleon debate and I hope we have more class debates in the future
Good job and I think Tomas made a really nice conclusion too. Even though I hold the opinion that Napoleon sees himself as a king rather than revolutionary leader, it is true that Napoleon brought France to the goodness and won the battles for France. He is a hero.
ReplyDeleteSuzy