January 26, 2014
Napoleon Debate
The debate overall was amazing. A lot of amazing points were made. In the beginning I really wasn't on either side so I chose pro. One really great thing Ben, being on the con side, said during the debate was that Napoleon did a very good job keeping France together and he was a good ruler but he should be named the ruler of the Napoleonic Revolution and not the French Revolution. I actually had to think about that for a little bit but even though I can somewhat agree with him, I still believe that Napoleon did what the people wished for during the French Revolution for the most part. Yes the wanted a successful republic but with what Napoleon was given to work with I think he did a good job. France was falling apart at the seams and without him, France would have been completely destroyed. Another point that was made, I think by Charlie, was that if France was in an economic crisis why was Napoleon even battling countries and focusing so much on the army. And I forget who on my team said that they were France was already involved in wars and he was just continuing. I also said that the Napoleonic code made it so that everyone is equal, so it gave peasants land and status. And by battling countries and gaining land, he would be able to give the peasants the land they need in order to be equal. I also mentioned that life must have been better if people were able to have food. Before Napoleon, they couldn't even afford bread. So Napoleon did make changes little by little to make things better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Leila, I definitely agree that the debate was amazing!!! Also, I agree with you on Napoleon doing little things to improve the lives of the French by enforcing the Civil Code which allows peasants equality, land, and status. I think These are some of the main ideals of the French Revolution. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThis is really interesting especially the Napoleon Revolution vs. French Revolution. I think that makes a lot of sense since it was definitely a revolutionary turn for France's government, but not necessarily in the same direction that the original Revolution had been aimed towards. I agree that Napoleon really made important changes in France that no one else could have done, especially like the Napoleonic Code. Good job!
ReplyDelete