I believe Napoleon both represented and defied the revolution; therefore, I think his reign was both a success and failure. His reign was a success and represented the revolution by enforcing the civil code which allowed equality of all male citizens before the law, and absolute security of wealth and private property. These three values which the civil code entailed were things people initially fought for in the revolution. Also, he created a system of education that allowed any social class to attend; however, as Caitlin noted in class since Napoleon had strict censorship of newspapers, these children were being taught bias information. A main ideal of the French Revolution was no absolute rulers, and Napoleon was a dictator; therefore, Napoleon went against an essential idea of the French Revolution. However, it is I portent to note that the people didn't revolt against him after he took over the very weak directory. Also, Napoleon completely decimated the rights of women by giving all the power back in the hands of the man if the household;therefore, all progress made during the French Revolution was ruined. Napoleon had a huge effect on France as well as all of Europe during his reign in both beneficial and harmful ways.
I think Napoleon's legacy is his major victories on the battlefield, the making and the spread of the civil code,and decimating women's rights. If you combine all of these together, it demonstrates how his reign was both a success and failure.
Melanie Herbert
Hi Melanie!! So I totally agree with you idea about the people not revolting when Napoleon took over the directory because if the people didn't do anything, then how bad can he be? But I'm going to have to disagree on what you said about women's rights. I Believe that Napoleon didn't strip the rights of women. There were no real rights to begin with and the bread march? That wasn't real progress. He just wrote out the rights of men AND made all men equal under the civil code.
ReplyDelete