January 25, 2014

Napoleon Debate


The Napoleon Debate allowed us to analyze the infamous leader in different lights and gave an opportunity for us to create our own opinions based on the facts. Since I have always heard of Napoleon with a negative connotation, I picked the “pro” side to be able to recognize the success Napoleon brought to France; however, the “con” side made interesting points that stood out. One of the main reasons Napoleon might be an unrespectable leader is because he stripped the women away from the little power they had. As Ben mentioned, these women specifically went on March of Versailles to protest against the heavy prices on the bread that was needed to feed their families. This act of rebellion gave the third estate women power that they wanted but could never have before the Revolution, yet when Napoleon took control, they once again lost that little power. Napoleon was power hungry, and continued to lust for more land. Cameron argued that Napoleon’s expansion for France was not beneficial because of the lives all the wars cost. Similar to what Machiavelli stated in The Prince, it is difficult to control land that is more spread apart, and requires strategic placement of people the leader trusts. Those who argued for Napoleon defying the Revolution taught me about the greed and selfishness Napoleon based his choices on, while those who believed Napoleon represented the Revolution gave me insight on the decisions he made to help his country grow. Napoleon was a balanced leader: every good came with bad.

Ashley Xu

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Ashley! I really enjoyed reading about your perspective in regards to Napoleon and his legacy. I definitely agree with you that Napoleon was a balanced leader; he wasn't completely good or completely bad. Additionally, I thought that it was so interesting that you brought Machiavelli into your post. Great cross-cultural (cross-time period) historical analysis!

    ReplyDelete