Violin Concerto in D major Op. 61 by Beethoven
The Violin Concerto in D major by Beethoven is a work
performed by a full orchestra and a violin soloist. This concerto was written
in 1806 and was originally performed in Vienna. This was the second to last
concerto that Beethoven would write. Before this time period a typical orchestra
would consist of a small group. Romantic composers expanded the size of a
typical orchestra to include more wind, brass, and string instruments. In this
piece there is a constant battle between the orchestra and the soloist. The
piece includes both arguments and conversation between the orchestra and
violin.
The piece
represents several romantic themes. These include, love, anger, happiness,
passion, and beauty. The piece has many arpeggios and they are used to
represent both love and anger. The minor arpeggio is used for anger and the
major arpeggio is used to evoke love. There are also many scales running up and
down the fingerboard of the violin. The scales running down usually emphasize
the last note indicating sadness. The scales running up usually indicate happiness.
Both of these styles emphasize their last note to make a profound emphasize on
their happy orsad tone. Overall the piece takes you on an emotional journey through
an hour long piece.
This is a great piece! I like how you chose something besides paintings. I agree that this has many romantic themes. I also enjoy how you used your expertise of music to add details most people would not hear. As well the information regarding the enlargement of the orchestra is pretty interesting. This was a good thing to learn. It is a very fascinating piece from an extraordinary artist.
ReplyDeleteI have never heard any of Beethoven's music, so listening to this music and seeing your analysis was very interesting. I liked how the music switches from the whole orchestra to just soloists back and forth; it was very dramatic. I never thought that different scales and arpeggios corresponded to different emotions. The piece also illustrates the romantic era drama and emotional intensity.
ReplyDeleteGreat work! Beethoven is my favorite composer (ever since I played the Moonlight Sonata way back when), and his emotional depth and ability to convey such feeling to his listeners is simply stunning. Your analysis is spot on, and I like how you specifically mentioned the major and minor arpeggios and their different jobs. Nice!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Cameron! I really enjoyed reading your analysis of Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D major Op. 61. I had not listened to this piece in quite a while, so it was wonderful to revisit the work of art while thinking of its historical, Romantic context. Your interpretation of Beethoven's arpeggios is very interesting, as Chopin (I wrote in my post about Chopin's Nocturne in C Sharp Minor for piano) also used appregios in his nocturnes, producing various emotional effects.
ReplyDeleteAidan Turek
ReplyDeleteI need not say that Beethoven is a great composer, surely his precedence today attests to that, but this piece is certainly a lesser known. All the more shame, as it is, not to anyone's surprise, very touching and certainly emotional. It is clear in your description that this piece's emotions are very much relate to those of the Romantic movement. We may have just moved past the war, but this certainly brings back images of death and suffering. In all very pretty.