October 10, 2013

The movie followed the life and actions of Martin Luther. It really put a face to the name "Luther", and also all of the people that he influenced. The little girl and her mom helped show me examples of real people Luther had to deal with. The movie was biased towards Luther and greatly against the Catholic Church, so I grew a sort of hatred for the church because of indulgences and all of the money and corruption involved. No matter how bad the consequences could be, Luther never backed down which I feel is a message that the movie was trying to display. He stood for his beliefs which I believe is one of his great leadership qualities and that is what helped him gain such a large following. It was a little Hollywood-esque but I still liked it because like I said before, it makes the events and people seem more real. The movie also helped me understand the real reasons for all of his theses (ex: no burying suicides, no indulgences, etc.) because of the smaller events that took place in the movie. Even though I didn’t like the church while watching the movie, I still had respect for the one Holy Father that still respected and helped Luther, I feel like it was a light in the darkness of the rest of the movie. Another great part that I really enjoyed was at the end when Luther is with his wife/lover/woman friend and he thinks that the he will be executed but he had actually won over the princes. Luther was the first major reformer in the church and without him we wouldn’t have the many sects of Christianity that we have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment